Friday, April 23, 2010

Anne Taylor Robertson 10: The Problem of Pain

"At this very moment you and I are either committing [selfishness], or about to commit it, or repenting it."
Thoughts like these make convict me, and help me to realize that sometimes in life there are no gray areas. When I think of it in terms of selfishness, I can’t look at myself and see a truly unselfish moment. If one does exist, it is not mine to claim. At the heart of me there is a need for survival; and in a life-threatening situation, not even the most disgusting selfishness would stand in the way of attempting to save my own life. I hope that one day this will be different, and through the slow process of throwing my own rebellion on the Lord and his transformation this selfishness will one day be gone. According to Lewis, we are constantly in the process of either committing selfishness, preparing for selfishness or admitting selfishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment