Friday, April 23, 2010

Shining in the Sun (choice blog) -Emily Williamson

Yesterday, as I was walking across Warwick on my way to class, I was foolishly trying to put my silver cross necklace on. Since I was walking and trying to be coordinated, I dropped my cross charm- the charm my mother got me for Christmas from the same jeweler that made her engagement ring. I became quite upset when I was unable to find my charm. I didn't want to be late to class, so I told myself to go back and look for it later.

I texted my roommates to alert them of my missing charm which was on the Warwick crosswalk somewhere. I knew none of them had left for class yet, so I let them know so they could be on the lookout. While I was sending out the message, I typed: "It might be easier to look for in the..." and then I accidentally typed son instead of sun. While it was a simple typo, it was also a great metaphor. Yesterday morning was dark and dreary, but the weather cleared up very nicely as the day went on. This can relate to the suffering in our lives: while our sorrow may last for a short time, joy is on the horizon. I thought of Jesus and how He suffered for us on the cross. His suffering was great- the most that can ever be suffered- but out of that suffering comes eternal life. What a blessing!

I have yet to find my cross charm- for all I know it's still out there on Warwick. However, it is just a charm and can easily be replaced. I am thankful, however, that losing such a small charm can give me a joyful reminder that our suffering is only temporary, for joy comes in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment