Friday, April 23, 2010

Friends and Myth- Buddy Powers

Friendship is an invaluable aspect of human experience. Only my closest friends know how to truly challenge me, reprove me, and love me. Something that is common in my friend group is story telling. We love to both hear and give a good story about our experiences or a theoretical situation. Most of the time are stories do not have any deep meaning to them, however I have been motivated by the interesting meanings of Dr. Redick's many tales to look deeper into my own. This has been an interesting challenge within my friend group, since we are all such story tellers. Lewis talks about how myth is the union of both experiential and abstract knowledge, however stories are not always myths and often are only taken for their material value. If I juxtapose how I take most stories that I have or friends have, I do not usually find any deeper meaning. However, Dr. Redick always seems to have had some interesting abstract dimension to his stories. Here I realize the difference between myth and story in the verbal story-telling realm. After this class I will certainly try to look deeper than the events of an adventure and tap into the spiritual, and mythical realities of that event.

No comments:

Post a Comment