Friday, April 23, 2010

Class reflection - Elizabeth Roy

Class reflection
Choice blog
Elizabeth Roy
4/23

This is certainly the most difficult blog I have written. It's hard to look over a semester and reflect or evaluate the entire experience.

I can say that I have definitely learned a lot more about Lewis as a person, and about how to think about myth and fairy tales. I feel rather vindicated in fact - I've always loved fantasy as a genre and generally face disparaging comments about it. It's satisfying also to know that Lewis read stories the same way I do - the beloved ones over and over again.

Unfortunately, there is also a lot I wish I had gotten out of the class and didn't. I feel like one of the most important aspects of this class was the personal experience that each student brought to it - but that wasn't shared as much as I would have liked. I would have liked being able to get to know my classmates a little better.

I do think that after this class I will continue reading Lewis' works. I am fascinated especially by his apologetic works, as his views alternately repel me or make me want to cheer. I'm also anticipating the future releases in the Chronicles of Narnia film series that is in production right now. I think I might see the future films in a different light based on what I know about Lewis himself now - although most likely, I'll be even more frustrated when the directors leave things out now!

No comments:

Post a Comment