Friday, April 23, 2010

Course Reflection- Buddy Powers

I learned a great deal in this course, not just about Lewis or myth, but about truth and reality as well. It was so interesting to explore how myth is such a part of our reality, and how we take part in it often without knowing. Lewis' take on myth in his stories and essays is revolutionary. Myth as a reliable source of knowledge? Myth as a way of learning about the world? Before this course I would have scoffed at the possibility of myth fulfilling either of these. However, after exploring Lewis' stories through the lens of Chesterton and Tolkein's take on myth, I was blown away at what I found. That mythical worlds are an not always intentionally allegorical, but that often they should be received simply as they are. As Lewis argues to his inklings about the ins and outs of Narnia, "its just magic." Accepting this and adjusting my world perspective accordingly has brought me into deeper appreciation of my religious perspective, my relationship with God, my relationships with my friends, and my relationship with nature. The Christian myth is one that will always guide how I approach the world, and after this course I am able to understand it more clearly that I have ever have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment