Friday, April 23, 2010

Mountains that Evoke Giants - Elizabeth Roy



Mountains that Evoke Giants
Choice blog
Elizabeth Roy
4/23

When discussing landscape in Lewis' works and his inspirations, we often discussed his comments about how to him, some landscapes just needed giants. For me, such a landscape was when I visited the Czech nature preserve, Cesky raj. There were miles upon miles of wooded trails, huge jagged hills, and most of all, fantastic castle ruins. I am certain that I felt the same way Lewis did. It seemed, as I hiked in Cesky raj, that it was impossible for something incredible and magical not to happen around the next corner. This feeling was heightened even more when at the second of the castle ruins, an excavation had just in the past few years uncovered another dungeon room. I think that although for some people Lewis' words might not have made perfect sense, to me they really hit home.

No comments:

Post a Comment