Friday, April 23, 2010

Searching for Joy- Heidi Naylor

I am currently in the process of finishing Surprised By Joy. Out of all the C.S. Lewis I have done this semester, I think this has been my favorite book; or, perhaps it has just made every other reading more complete in my mind. What I love about this autobiography is his search for joy. The thoughts he has regarding longing and insatiable desire, I have never before been exposed to. He spoke of his longing of Northernness, the first time he experienced beauty, and his search for joy through reading and writing.

The funny thing about reading it all is that I have felt very similar things, just never was able to identify it all quite like he has. I’m about three-fourths of the way through it, but I can’t wait to see how it ends. Obviously he becomes a published author, yet- somehow that ending doesn’t satisfy me; I want to know the details. I want to know how he grew to think the things he did about myth and how he became a Christian. I am intrigued by his view of the world and, maybe in the process, my view will become more developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment